Subj: “Fishing For Sympathy” #22 Date: 94-08-12 01:16:03 EDT From: L7s

Subj: “Fishing For Sympathy” #22 Date: 94-08-12 01:16:03 EDT From: L7s

“Fishing For Sympathy” #22 (July 27-Montreal)

This is the day I hurt my foot. I do not have a good recolection of all todays events (nothing like selective memory to get you safley through life), so to do this entery I asked Rod Doak to describe what happened form his point of view…..

The grounds we played today was the site of the1967 Worlds Fair. The stage was set in a large field surrounded by trees with a series of connecting ponds and lakes. It is very scenic and relaxing but even more important than that, it is the best fishing we have encountered so far on the tour. Dav Rat and I took advantage of the situation right after L7’s set. Unfortunately this was also the day I remember to take my walkie talkie with me. Just as I was baiting for the largest wide mouth bass of my fishing career the walkie talkie squawked to life. It was one of the Beastie Boys crew informing me that Jennifer had fallen and she couldn’t get up. I didn’t know whether to laugh or keep fishing so I did both. At Jennifer’s insistence I fished my back towards the accident site. Upon arriving I discovered it was no joke. She was surround by Red Cross volunteers reading from page fifteen of their emergence manual, desperately trying to decide if they had a break or a sprain on their hands. After a little prodding we decided it was just a twist (it will be up to her to tell you how she did it). Cool I thought, stick her in the emergency tent with an ice pack, she’ll be fine an I can get back to fishing. On returning to the fishing spot I discovered my partner Dav Rat had reeled in MY three pound big mouth bass. What the hell I thought, it is a beautiful day and there are plenty more where that came from. On my first cast, as felt a couple of good strikes and was waiting for the third and final strike, the walkie talkie started screaming and hissing. (damn I forgot to leave the thing back in civilization!). This time it was a message from the hospital tent. I heard words of torn ligaments, broken bones and ambulances. Tossing my pole down I headed for the tent. Upon my arrival Jen was laid out on a stretcher with friends, band members and crew standing around her like it was a death bed. Little did I know all these people had gathered because they heard a rumor she may be prescribed pain killers (LOL). It would seem that the previous diagnosis was under some question and the injury was now being treated as a possible break. The Red Cross volunteers, under the guidence of their trusty medical emergency book, had fashioned a splint out of beer cartons and torn bed sheets. I was informed that she should be taken to the hospital to be examined. I rode with her in the ambulance. As we drove, one of the medics pointed out some of Montreal’s tourist attractions. He gave us a history of the fair grounds, pointed out the local amusement park and named the bridge we went over. Then our tour guide lead us to the emergency drop off area and that is were we spent the rest of the day. We got back to the venue just before dusk. I propped Jennifer and her new crutches in the dressing room where she could get ooohed and aaahed over while I slipped out the back door with fishing pool in hand. I made sure to leave the walkie Talkie BEHIND!

Story told by Rod Doak. Typed by J. Finch (that should explain typos, spelling errors, and poor grammer)

Leave a Comment